Monday, January 26, 2015

Amherst Railway Society Show 2015

So much to talk about - an amazing weekend spent with a lot of amazing people.

My module was functionally completed on Thursday night (1/22/15), the night before the setup for the show. Track feeders soldered to the track and then tied into the track bus, legs built and tested, sides and top painted. Even put down a little grass in the space between the tracks for the future passing siding.

When I got to the show, they did some tests on every module to make sure that the electricals were up to snuff. My module needed a little work (a couple of wires had to be swapped) but otherwise, everything was fine. Trackwork? Check. DCC? Approved. Woot woot! My module was placed on the branch between a couple of curves and two excellent, larger module sets; Mike McNamara's Woodstown Junction and Dan Picciotto's Aliceanna Yard/Baltimore.

Setup was amazing, one module set (Bill Gibson's remarkably prototypical Cedar Hill) was used as the 'keystone'. Once it was in place, we starting building out in two directions -- to the Eugene loop and to the wye. From the wye, one team built the main line to the St. Cloud loop while another built the branch.

Here's how the track plan for my module ended up:

We ran opps both Saturday and Sunday; the modules on the branch (including mine) got a lot of switching.

Here's are a couple of photos of my module covered with structures:

And here are a few photos from the setup:

Looking from First Avenue to the wye during setup

The electronics underneath the approach to the St. Cloud loop

Looking down the branch during setup; Surburban Propane to the right,
Woodstown Junction to the left.

My New Haven passenger train outside of Boston, Mass. on Sunday

The 'caboose train', a traditional last train of the show, led by my 'dinky' New Haven S1. Thirty-three cabooses in this train representing railroads from all over the country. And yes, the S1 pulled the train without any problems.

The layout was huge - 62 module pieces; a mainline run of about 150 feet and a branchline of approximately 50 feet. We had participants from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York, Toronto, New Jersey, Maryland and Ohio.

Here's the layout plan (.pdf)

It was truly an amazing weekend. I learned a lot, made some great friends and didn't buy a lot. Can't wait to get back to work and complete this module (scenery) and build the second part. Thanks to everybody for all of their help and support!

Going around in circles?

Does Model Railroading make you feel like you're going around in circles?

Watch this!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Round Two

Kinda quiet here Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday, I did fix one structure but didn't get anything done on the module itself the past three days.

However, nothing like a Saturday to give me the time and energy to complete a lot of tasks on my first 'real' Free-mo module.

Today saw:
  1. both sides attached
  2. hole for UP5 cut
  3. both ends cut and attached
  4. all three supports cut and attached
  5. RJ12 sockets attached to both ends
  6. 6p6c cables with plugs run to location of UP5
  7. barrier strips installed and wires run between them
So, for all intents and purposes, the module frame is constructed and a lot of the wiring support work is done.

Here are a few photos of the day's accomplishments.

 Front side being glued in place

End pieces and support pieces all in place - the module frame is complete!

 RJ12 socket in place

 Wiring in place

 A little fuzzy, but another shot of wiring

 Wiring going through the access hole

Tomorrow, the focus is on making changes to a set of legs so that they're Free-mo compliant. My goal is to have the module standing on its own tomorrow and maybe even have the roadbed glued down and drying.

Other tasks to complete before the show:
  • Build 4 Cinch Jones plugs for power and connect them to barrier strips
  • Build 2 accessory cables and connect them to barrier strips
  • Build 2 2' Loco-net cables
  • Buy primer, paint and wood filler, then fix, prime and paint the front and back sides
  • Install roadbed
  • Install Free-mo end pieces
  • Cut track and test it
  • Lay the track
  • Solder track to Free-mo end pieces
  • Wire track to the track bus
  • Test some trains
  • Scenic the module
  • Ballast the track
  • Fix a couple of more structures
The good news is that I still have about 10 days to complete all of my tasks and it looks like it could get done.

More to come!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Round One

Chronicling building my first Free-mo module in preparation for the Amherst Railway Society Railroad Hobby Show - January 24 & 25, 2015

I've started! For real!

Tonight's tasks were primarily organizational in nature, but I did get a few other things accomplished.
  1. Located nearly all of the supplies and tools I'll need to build the module.
  2. Started organizing DCC gear
  3. Started organizing rolling stock
  4. Set up sawhorses and placed the module top on it.
  5. Drew the center line and placed track in approximate locations
  6. Reviewed all of my structures and after several years in storage, several need repair
  7. Started placing structures on the module top to get an idea of what will work
  8. Glued one side to the module top
  9. Repaired one structure
Goals for tomorrow:
  1. Screw in first side
  2. Cut out hole for UP5 on second side
  3. Glue second side to top
  4. Cut out end pieces
  5. Fix one more structure
Center line drawn

 Initial track and structure placement

First side glued and clamped